Tuesday, January 1, 2008

all local all the time

My roommate gave me a copy of Animal, Vegetable, Miracle for xmas. Yes, I am late to the party, as usual; I know everybody's been talking about it for months now. But anyway, it's great. For my money, better than The Omnivore's Dilemma, which I did love. (Although, The Botany of Desire was better, I thought and it was Fast Food Nation and The Jungle that really made my shopping habits what they are today.) Now that my vacation is ending (cue sobbing), I'll have *so* much time to write about it. Because I am sure nobody else in the world of food blogs has talked about it yet.

Who else has read it? Chicory, A, this is right up y'all's alley. Not an euphemism. I swear.

Now, ask me why I do book links with Powell's.

Whoa, that's a lot of links, little lady.....

7 comments:

B P said...

alright. I have always wondered...why do you do book links with powells?

Anonymous said...

why? why?!!!!!

that book looks really good. Damn my library list is getting big.
xo

B P said...

you might like this new pollen book too:
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=17725932&ft=1&f=1032

Anonymous said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Barbara Kingsolver. I started Animal, Vegetable, Miracle over the summer, but I didn't buy it, I checked it out from the public library, and it had a waiting list. That gave me two weeks, and I didn't get it done in two weeks, so I never got back to it. However. I made sure it was on my school library's fall order, so now I can check it out for as long as I want!! Heh. Thanks for reminding me to get back to it.

Anonymous said...

Yeah - I've read bits of it. Ducks has read it through though and I really enjoyed her popping her head up constantly with bits of interesting food trivia...
like buckwheat is from the rhubarb family...who'd have thunk?

starrhillgirl said...

I link with Powells' because B&N is the devil (as are cell phones and plackets on children's coats). I worked at a local independent bookstore when B&N came to town and so got all the dirt about huge chain bookstores buying huge, huge quantities of books from publishers (hence the 10% off everyday deal) and then sending the vast majority of them back, putting small publishers, who cannot absorb that sort of loss, at a very distinct disadvantage. The kind of disadvantage that puts them out of business. You might even say, these huge conglomerates could control the publishing industry.

B P said...

is amazon the devil too? i bet they are b/c the author doesn't get much, do they. i will go google "placket" now....