Friday, March 14, 2008

just another morning in spring

So it's been weeks since I worked a full 5 days in a row. Weeks, I tell you. There's no school today and it smelled like spring when I opened the front door to let the cats in. I've given up on cutting out coffee and so I am here in the sun with a totally indulgent cup of 2/3 coffee, 1/3 heavy cream. And did I mention the sun? And the lack of school today?

I woke up and walked down here to pick up my milk first thing, because I have been slack this week and didn't pick up on Wednesday, which is my usual pick up day. The whole milk deal is a little shady, which I kind of love. You cannot buy or sell unpasteurized milk in Virginia, so people get around it by purchasing a share in a cow, so the milk is technically theirs and they consume it at their own risk. I do sometimes wonder what part of my cow I own - the tail? The cute nose? Anyway, I'm not one of those Raw Milk Will Save the World people, but I'm pretty happy to have local milk and I'm always after food that's had less shit done to it. And it is good - the real test for what to buy and eat in my mind. Local and organic and unprocessed are fab and all, but really, I'm into food that tastes good. Which this milk does. The poorly lit warehouse and the old soda refrigerators and the sneaky hidden key are all pure entertainment for me - the real deal is that I like this milk better. Now if only I could ride my bike down to the IX to get it....

Yes, it's true. I do not know how to ride a bike. I thought this wasn't news here on teh internets, but the injector has only recently discovered my lack of biking prowess and is threatening to come come south and remedy the problem. Others have tried - valiantly - before, but with no luck. (somewhat embarassing pics here)I'm not so good at the whole practicing thing, you see, and I think that's probably key. Anyway - I do want to know how. It fits in well with everything else about my "Lifestyle." But falling is so scary!

Moving on to other things I cannot do yet - let's talk about ttc, shall we? (That' trying to conceive for those of you just joining us here in Starr Hill.) Here's the lowdown from the RE's visit this week: I will be doing an unmedicated, monitored, home insemed cycle this month. Woo and hoo for the home insems! Go DIY AI go! There's several things going on here so I'll try to be all linear and shit so you can get the full picture and the you can weigh in as you see fit.

From the information gathered during my monitored cycle in January, the RE thinks that I had 2 problems: old Polly and low progesterone. Now we'll all bow our heads a minute to Polly and then move on because that particular problem is gone. Woo! So then the issue becomes the prog. Now, I knew from blood-work with my nurse practitioner that my progesterone was low back last summer and she put me on prometrium (by mouth - whew) for it, but her protocol for the dosage was very different from my RE's protocol and I don't wonder (or rather I do wonder) if hers was not so hot. See, the half-life of prometrium is 12 hours and my NP only had me take it once a day, so I'd imagine the level could float around more than would be ideal. The RE has folks take it 3 times a day, which know knowing the half-life of it (thank you Obsessors) makes far more sense.

Anyway. My RE deals with low prog in one of 2 ways: dose with prometrium or take...... clomid. His thought process is this: The corpus luteum is what produces progesterone after ovulation, so if there is a problem with progesterone, perhaps tweaking the follicle that will become the corpus luteum will make for better progesterone production. Plus the "bonus" of more follicles - i.e. more "targets" for the sperm to hit. He very, very slowly and seriously did the math for me on how the chance of multiples goes up in this scenario and listened patiently when I said in no uncertain terms that I was scared shitless of the mood swings I hear can come with clomid and said femara was a fine choice when I asked about using that instead. The man's a dream. And he delicately pointed out that, in his view, time is not an issue. I'm young and healthy, as they kept telling me before my surgery. All that said, I am going with no meds for this cycle other than a prometrium supplement. Because I like to ramp it up slowly.

As for the home insem part - well, there's some bureaucracy involved here. In the past, sperm that needs washing for an IUI would get sent to Richmond, washed and sent back. But my sperm don't roll like that because they've been Bio-Tranzed. The shipping method my donors (Remember them? You can't beat them with a stick.) and I are using, bio-tranz, only keeps those kids alive for 24 hours. Not enough time to get from the West Coast to Richmond and then here. They'd be dead. Now, the University has been promising my RE a machine for washing sperm here for sometime now. They said October 2007 at the latest, he told me. Then we both looked at the calendar and sighed. Any day now, they keep telling him. He sighed again. So if there's a machine here, I'll wash those prostaglandins right out of my sperm and do an IUI. But I'm not going to count on that, so we'll just all plan on one very last home insem. What do you say?

There's a mess of us cycling together this time, which has to be worth something. There's me, the injector's best girl KK, Mrs. B, Chips, Tiff, Katie who has no blog (ahem) from FF.... damn. I though there were more of us. Anybody else? Anybody?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey - i thought about you last night at work ~ there was a RN there who kinda reminded me of you... (a la pics of sophie trying to teach you to ride the bike and you sporting long hair) do you have a sister? i may have swooned. i know i did a double take. right in front of my classmates. she was nice. and had tattoos.

anyway...i love reading the ttc stuff - especially the DIY AI... so herein in the reason i am commenting ~ can you send me info on the biotranz dealio? time is flying and the potential KD lives about 10-hrs away.

ok. that is all. i am off to the last day of clinical, armed with two cakes & cards for all the nurses and staff who were good to us and presents for our teacher. and the digi camera for a group photo of our group :) fun times!

(sorry for the rambly)

Anonymous said...

Wow! All very thrilling. I think the "one very last home insem" has luck written all over it. ox

Anonymous said...

I hear you on the bike thing, girl. I didn't learn to ride a bike until I was about twelve. I then rode my bike for approximately three years, and I have not ridden one since. I'm terrified of falling. It's scary! Good for you for trying though!

I love that you can walk to buy your raw milk. It's been so long since I've had the good stuff. I need to see if we have something like that around here. Our new area has a lot of dairies, so I'm wondering...

I'm hoping the best for this last at home insem with BioTranz. Let's hope it's the last of the last. It's your turn.

Anonymous said...

nice pics of attempting to ride a bicycle. was it hot out?

also, did you ride a big wheel when you were a tot?

i say sling it on up there one more time using the DIY at home method. fingers crossed for all of these intersecting cycles and for your learning how to ride a bicycle!

if i get to see shirtless girls--i am really coming south to teach you!

jessie said...

I love this: "I've given up on cutting out coffee and so I am here in the sun with a totally indulgent cup of 2/3 coffee, 1/3 heavy cream. And did I mention the sun? And the lack of school today?"


hope you don't mind if i add you on my site so i can keep up with you!

NotesFrom2Moms said...

hey hon... you totally sound a bit refreshed and you look great wearing that delightful plan around your shoulders. I'm holding out hope that all goes well and your last attempt at the all natural works out. also a note about the femara/clomid. It wasn't too bad for me. i really didn't have mood swings... i just became very very aware of my ovaries. So keep in mind that different treatments and different drugs do different things to everyone. Maybe you will be pleasant as a peach on femara.