Wednesday, April 23, 2008

a bird on the fridge door is worth 2 in the hand

I was thinking about a snack and I went to the fridge to get out the goat cheese (goat cheese and dates - seems fancy, but it's not) and lo and behold there was a fake bird attached to the handle of the fridge door. A rather disheveled fake bird - one minus most of it's feathers, pale plastic underbelly exposed for all to see. WTF right?

Well, no. You see, yesterday was Tuesday - or as I have come to think of it - T-day, because it's the day that T comes over. Yesterday, she brought her husband, teen-age step-son and 4 year old, let's call him Frank. The orange haired teen-age step-son left shortly after they arrived, his gf beckoning from across town. Ah, youth...... Anyway we all went out to dinner and had the usual fight about who would pay the bill. And to settle the issue quickly, it was decided that I would give up my fight for the bill if I was allowed to buy some beer on the way home, which we would all sit around and drink (well, not Frank, but you know what I mean). So that's what we did.

But what the fuck does this have to do with the disheveled fake bird on the fridge, you ask? Patience, y'all, patience. Frank, the aforementioned 4 year old, busied himself doing little kid things while we sat round on the porch after dinner and at some point he asked me again, for the fifty-eleventh time, what was the deal with with the bird cage on the porch. For some time now, he's been trying to wrap his mind around the fake bird hanging upside down in the bird cage - he can't quite get if it's real or not, if it's alive or dead. The whole set up is a mystery to him. So last night, I took the bird out of the bird cage so he could get a good look at it. And after turning it over in his hands several times, he told me he was going to find a new spot for it. Inside. I didn't pay that much mind until this morning when I went to get the milk out of the fridge and in the semi-darkness of the kitchen noticed there was a fake bird hanging off the fridge door.

So now I want to go eat my fab dates and goat cheese treats, but I'll log my lunch first: left over fish burrito from last night's dinner plus left over strawberries from morning snack. Log your lunch, y'all.

7 comments:

Pufferfish said...

I have a fake peacock in my plant...he likes it there.
So I get that.

Today was Lunch Lounge in our office which means potluck:
Pulled Pork w/ Cilantro, salad, pasta salad w/ Chicken, tortilla chips and queso, carrots, veggie lasagna, shrimp jambalaya, tres leches cake.

Yum!

becca said...

I am not sure I am ready to see the bird in a new spot. Put it back already!
For lunch, I made a halibut sandwich (broiled last night) with avocado on a locally made roll with just the right wafer thin crisp crust . And water.

Anonymous said...

Half baguette with brie and spinach, chips and pomegranate fizzy lizzy.

Anonymous said...

Dear LB (commenter above me) what is a fizzy lizzy?

yesterday's lunch: anxiety with a side dish of yogurt.

xo

Anonymous said...

Will the bird return to its cage? I love that story becaue I would be just like that little boy (even now)-- intrigued and wanting to open up the cage and explore.

Ok, still lame-- today I had a veggie Lean Cuisine Pizza and sone apricots. Rock star!

J. E. Mauzy said...

We have weird, matter, fake birds on our Christmas tre... year after year after year......

Lunch was a salad from Blue Ridge Country Store, a hard boiled egg and seltzer water.

Anonymous said...

sweet pic of the bird cage and the sky.
i like that story; it made me happy.
on wednesday, april 23 i had leftover veggie pasta fagoli for lunch that i made the night before and a very ripe pear.